Nevada high school seniors in the graduating class of 2023 with a 2.0 or higher GPA may apply for this scholarship. One parent must be an active or retired member in good standing of any local union affiliated with the Nevada State AFL-CIO. Student must be planning to attend a college, university, vocational or trade school. Five scholarships in the amount of $2,000 each will be offered.
Verification of college enrollment (class schedule) will be required during the summer before the check is mailed to the college. Scholarship funds must be applied toward tuition, fees and other appropriate educational expenses. These funds will be disbursed in equal payments over two semesters.
Five scholarships in the amount of $2,000 each will be offered. Deadline to apply is July 16,2023.
- Are you a 2023 Nevada high school graduate?
- Is your parent an active or retired member in good standing of any local union affiliated with the Nevada State AFL-CIO?
- Please list the Local Union& Local Union number of your parent who is an active or retired member in good standing of any local union affiliated with the Nevada State AFL-CIO.
- Statement of your career goals.Please include the name of school you will be attending after high school and your career goals.
- Essay - 1,000 words minimum - Generation Z is the most pro-union generation alive, with more support for unions among today's young adults than previous generations ever had at the same age. Why do you think that is, and what do you think that means for the future of labor as more and more Gen Z members enter the workforce each year? Please upload your most current transcript (unofficial).
The 2023 Arnold/Jones/Evans Scholarship is administered through the Public Education Foundation.
To apply follow the below application instructions:
- Visit https://thepef.academicworks.com/ and click "sign up"to enter your email and create a password.
- Check your email for link to begin your application.
- Complete your general application, sign and submit.
- Next, click on "Opportunities," and search for "Arnold/Jones/Evans."
- After selecting the Arnold/Jones/Evans scholarship, choose "apply."
- Answer the supplemental questions and enter your essay into the space provided.
- Upload your unofficial transcripts.
- Click "and submit!"
The Nevada State AFL-CIO Arnold/Jones/Evans scholarship is named after the following labor legends:
- Jim Arnold – Former Secretary-Treasurer of Culinary Local 226 (1987-2002)
- Stanley Jones – Former head of the Building & Construction Trades Council of Northern Nevada (BCTCNN) & former DETR Employment Security Division Director, Administrator and Labor Commissioner
- Blackie Evans - Former Executive Secretary-Treasurer of the Nevada State AFL-CIO (1978-1999)
For any questions, please contact Carlos at: firstname.lastname@example.org